The Toyota 22R is the successor to the 2.2-liter Toyota 20R. Toyota 20R, 22R, and 22RE engines are very popular among Toyota owners in America. The 22R is an excellent and power-packed car in a narrow four-cylinder block.
The 22R engine is equipped with a cord iron block and aluminum cylinder head with Single Overhead Camshaft (SOHC) and is fitted with two-cylinder valves for a total of 8.
The Toyota 22R engine has a carburetor fuel system and uses a mechanical distributor for the ignition system.
Table of Contents
22R Engine History
Toyota has produced the 22R 22 cylinders 2.4-liter engine from 1981 to 1995. Toyota introduced the 22RE fuel-injection version in 1982.
In 1983, Toyota swapped the two-row chains that used the 22R engine and replaced it with a single-row chain using a plastic guard.
Finally, in 1985, Toyota redesigned the 22R engine and upgraded many parts, including the cylinder head, piston, block, timing chain, oil, and water pumps.
There are differences between the 22R and 22RE engines after 1984 production. The 22RE uses fuel injection. As for the 22R engine used for the 1981 Toyota Corona, 1981-1985 Hilux, and 1984 4Runner.
From 1985 to 1988, the 22RE engine was produced, maximizing the output of 105 horsepower at 4800 rpm. The maximum can reach 137 at 2800 rpm. Engine compression is 9.3:1 with a bore of 92 mm and a stroke of 89 mm.
From 1989 to 1995, Toyota made engines more powerful. Even the maximum power is increased to 112 at 4600 rpm.
The maximum torque has increased to 142 at 3400 rpm. Displacement remains at 2,366 cc and compression at 9.3 to 1, bore at 92 mm, and travel at 89 mm.
The Toyota 22R engine with carburetor from 1981 to 1990 has produced 101 horsepower and 234 lb-ft of torque. 22R or 22RE engines also have a 9:1 compression ratio.
Toyota changed the engine carburetor during production. Initially, the 22R engine used a standard 32 cfm single barrel carburetor. But car owners can equip the 22R with a single-barreled Weber of 325 cfm.
22R Engine Code Details:
- 22: 22 Generation Engine
- R: Family Engine
Toyota 22R Engine Specifications
After knowing the history of making the Toyota 22R engine, it’s time for us to know the specifications of the Toyota 22R engine that we need to understand.
|layout||Four-stroke, Inline-4 (Straight-4)|
|Displacement||2.4 L, 2,366 cm (144.38 cu-in)|
|Fuel system||Electronic fuel injection (EFI)|
|Power output||From 98 PS (72 kW; 97 HP) at 4800 rpm to 110 PS (81 kW; 109 HP) at 5000 rpm.|
|Torque output||from 174 N.m (17.7 kg.m, 128 ft.lb) at 2,800 rpm to 187 N.m (19.1 kg.m, 138 ft.lg) at 3,400 rpm.|
The 22R engine features a cast-iron cylinder block using a five-bearing support system. This engine has a cylinder bore of 92.0 mm or 3.62 inches and a piston stroke of 89.0 mm or 3.5 inches. The compression ratio rating is 9.0:1.
Here are the cylinder block specifications of 86 and newer:
- Cylinder block alloy: Cast Iron
- Compression Ratio: 9.0:1
- Cylinder bore: 92.00 mm (3.62 in)
- Piston stroke: 89.00 mm (3.5 inches)
- Number of piston rings on compression/oil: 2 / 1
- Number of main bearings: 5
- Cylinder inner diameter (standard size): 92,000-92,030 mm (3,622- 3,6232 inches)
- Piston skirt diameter (standard size): 91,970 – 92,000 mm (3.6209- 3622 in)
- Connecting rod big end Standard diameter: 56,000 – 65.06 mm (2.2047 – 2.205 inches)
Cylinder Head Specification
The cylinder head is made of aluminum, which provides good engine cooling efficiency.
The engine also has a single overhead camshaft and is driven by a timing chain and two valves per cylinder for eight valves.
The inlet valve head diameter is 45.0 mm or 1.77 inches. The exhaust valve head diameter is 37.0 mm or 1.46 inches.
- Valve Arrangement: SOHC and Chain drive
- Number of Valves: 8 with two valves per cylinder
- Valve diameter: Intake 45.0 mm (1.7717 inches) and Exhaust 37.0 mm or 1.4567 inches
- Valve length: Intake 113.5 mm (4.4685 inches) and exhaust 112.4 mm or 4.452 inches
- Valve stem diameter: intake 7,970-7,986 mm and Exhaust 7,965-7,980 mm
- Valve Spring Length: 48.5 mm
Toyota 22R Maintenance
Several things need to be considered when you use this Toyota 22R. Following 22R engine maintenance data:
- Oil System
- Oil consumption, L/ 1000km i.e. up to 0.5 (1 1t per 1,200 mile)
- Recommended engine oil 5W-30 and 10W-30
- Oil Type API, i.e., SF or SF/ CC
- Engine oil capacity when changing the filter is 4.2 l, and not changing the filter is 3.8 l
- The oil change interval per km/mile is 10,000 km
- Ignition System
- Spark plugs using NGK BPR5EY and DENSO W16EXR-U
- Spark plug gap 0.8 mm or 0.0315 inches
Toyota 22R Engine Problem
Although this machine has complex specifications, of course, engine problems can occur. The 22R engine problem that most often happens is the ignition system.
If at 150 to 200 thousand km, the timing chain often stretches and makes noise. However, you can periodically adjust the valve clearance.
In addition, another problem that is often faced is complicated carburetor settings. So we have to take it to a car repair shop.
The Toyota 22R Engine was built from 1981 to 1995 and was installed on popular cars such as the Hilux, 4Runner, and Land Cruiser J70. This engine has been updated with many aspects.
Some vehicles that use the 22R engine are Toyota Corona, Hilux, Celica, Cressida, and Pickup.
Don’t forget to do regular servicing of your vehicle to maintain the engine performance.